Saturday, July 8, 2017

Post-cult Experiences

Here are a few things I never knew until leaving the cult:

  • There is such a thing as face soap and using it is better than using whatever bar soap is laying around.
  • Face moisturizer is a thing. I should use it. 
  • People actually put sunscreen on their faces everyday, and I should, too.
  • Hair conditioner and/or treatment, when used, will make my hair look like hair, rather than Einstein's frizzy fro.
  • It's possible to buy clothes that fit and flatter. I no longer need to wear donated, cast-off, or men's clothing and shoes.
  • Makeup has expiration dates.

Things I can now do without feeling guilty:

  • Read books
  • Surf the internet
  • Watch TV
  • Not feel I must be busy every single second of the day
  • Buy good quality food
  • Drink a glass of wine with dinner
  • Get my hair cut by a professional
  • Not pray

Things that other people do, but I have not been able to do yet. Either such things are not options for me, or I am not courageous enough:

  • Spa day (I hear that's a thing.)
  • Get a massage 
  • Shop for fun and buy stuff for myself
  • Eat at a restaurant or coffeeshop by myself
  • Go to a movie by myself
  • Hang out with friends
  • Go to a bar or other drinking venue
  • Girls' night out
  • Go on vacation by myself or with someone for whom I am not acting as a tour guide
  • Stop worrying about money

No comments:

Post a Comment